Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cry, Baby, Cry.


I have to admit that I was part and parcel in causing the event pictured here, responsible through my inaction based on my observation of the situation as it unfolded. I watched the child and practically mouthed a narration of the action as it happened. I could have done something, but I didn't. I don't even know the kid.

I saw the woman put the party hat on the baby, and I knew it wouldn't end well. I remembered my own childhood experiences with birthday hats with thin elastic bands, and I knew it would only end in only one way. Pain and tears.

I watched the child's stubby little fingers reach for the elastic where it was cutting into his ear. Baby fingers are about the least dexterous thing a child has, and I don't think this kid even had bones in his yet. He was only able to hold the elastic for a millisecond, but it was an eventful one.

Grab. Pull. SNAP! (pause). Create ear-splitting yell through the use of the pictured mouth/tongue combination.

The child may never look at Elmo the same way again.

No comments: