Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The World at My Feet

June 20, 2008

It was forty-four years ago this spring that the New York World's Fair opened in Flushing Meadow Park. Forty-four summers that we've had the Unisphere looming over the Grand Central Parkway. Forty-four summers since I went there with my family and found to my dismay that the giant globe was far larger than my imagination, and I'd never be able to climb it like the monkey bars at the playground. I don't know why I thought I could; there was the pool and the fountains after all, and it was a sprawling, crowded exposition, and I was all of four years old.

Today, of course, I'm a grown-up, and I can do whatever I want to. And since the fountains are hardly ever on anymore I can walk right up to the base and...well, lie in the cradle of the steel support. Even if it were possible to climb the damn thing without equipment and a modicum of experience, my body, as well as my sensibilities, are older than four.

So instead, let's just lie back and watch this film about the building of this grand Queens landmark.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you wear sunblock and your hat?