Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vangoghlaroids Revisited

Long Beach - July 3, 1998

For the last week or so I've been cleaning my office. At least, that's what I've been calling it. What I'm actually doing is delving into the piles of crap on tables and countertops and putting bits and pieces of them in different places. Anything incredibly outdated or unrecognizable gets thrown away. In a way I'm getting things done: I've had color prints of various sizes lying on flat surfaces all around the room, now they're all in one place. They're in a horrible pile, I've yet to sort through them, but at least they're on a single flat surface.


Fire Island - August 25, 1997

Naturally, at least half the crap you turn up while doing a task like this sidetracks you for a moment, or an hour, depending if it's just crap, really crap, or something you need to consider more thoroughly before deciding that it just really is crap. So when I found myself looking at two portfolios of Vangoghlaroids, I knew there wasn't going to be much more that I'd be getting done that evening.

These were the unsold remains of a collection that I carried around during my traveling art show days. I'd leave these, along with another couple portfolios of black and white pieces open on a table for browsing. Of course, the top scene wasn't a single image ten years ago, it was originally matted as a triptych. The three pictures (with the center one trimmed to fit the mount) are still together, I was able to keep them taped for the scan. I cut and moved the images together in Photoshop. I still need to even out some of the tones a little better, when I do I'll be printing it to about twenty inches wide.

No comments: