Friday, September 23, 2011

Drive-In Movie

Rocky Point, NY - October 1991
Another of my favorite pictures, this was also one of the last drive-in movie theaters on Long Island in the late 1980's.  This was taken in the early fall of 1991; I used to spend my weekends driving around the Island, looking for unusual places, when I happened upon this.  

A friend's family had a summer house in Rocky Point during the 80's, and I knew about the drive-in, I just didn't know at this time that it had been abandoned for a few years.  The sign out on Rt. 25A was barely visible, and I remember having to park in a strip mall about a hundred yards past it, then walking back to fight my way through the brush that had grown up along the entrance lane.

I had to walk some distance, past the entrance booths to finally come upon the towering screen facing what was now an isolated meadow with waist-high grass.  I wandered around for some time in this quiet, deserted bowl before I saw the car seat, and knew I had my picture.
.

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

neat. I've been wondering if there were any pictures of the Rocky Point drive in when the screen was still standing. It's long since been a driving range, which has also long since closed. thanks for sharing.