Sunday, November 7, 2010

Assignment: Sunset




Four minutes to the sand isn't bad. It's certainly quicker than it's been for too many years, and when the late afternoon light fills the front room of the new apartment I'm torn between reveling in the golden glow and walking the 500 yards to where the Atlantic meets Pacific (Blvd.)

Since the weather's been nice, and the sun has begun making its move to setting in the southwest, over the water, I've been opting for the walk. I figure I'll appreciate the golden glow better in the coming months when I can enjoy it from inside a cable-knit sweater with a glass of warm scotch, and maybe a cat in my lap.

November 6, 2010

I never made many photographs of the sunsets during the ten years I lived here last, though during my first time down here, in 1983, I did once, with my Pentax Auto 110, an SLR camera with interchangeable lenses that used 110 cartridges. It was a freezing day in February, and I think I had a flask of Jack Danial's with me. The camera's exposures were all automatic, but I somehow managed to get some decent prints.

November 6, 2010

Ever have one of those things you always tell yourself you should do, something simple, something stupid, something you could accomplish without ever even going out of your way for, but for some reason you never quite get around to? Well, for me, the last 27 years I've meant to get back to the beach for an ocean sunset.


October 1, 2010

The anvil finally hit me on the head the first of last month, after a day of heavy storms. The rains had ended and the winds finally died down and the clouds to the west opened and the setting sun lit the front room like the beginning of a first act. I got one glimpse of the sky, then I got my camera and coat.

I was only moments too late to include the orb in this picture; I've since bookmarked the US Naval Observatory, but the brilliance of the sky and clouds, not to mention my unwitting model, made for an acceptable shot.

.


No comments: